A common question – what do you need to bring with your on your driving test? and what types of car can you use if you’re not with an Instructor?
What to take to your test
You must take:
- your UK driving licence
- your theory test pass certificate
The theory test pass certificate is rarely asked for in my experience.
Rules about the car
Your car must:
- be taxed
- be insured for a driving test (check with your insurance company)
- be roadworthy and have a current MOT (if it’s over 3 years old)
- have no warning lights showing, eg the airbag warning light
- have no tyre damage and the legal tread depth on each tyre
- be smoke-free – this means you can’t smoke in it just before or during the test
- be able to reach at least 62mph and have an mph speedometer
- have 4 wheels and a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of no more than 3,500 kg
The MAM is the limit on how much the car can weigh when it’s loaded. It’ll be in the car’s handbook.
Things that must be fitted
The car must have:
- an extra interior rear-view mirror for the examiner
- L-plates (‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales) on the front and rear
- a passenger seatbelt for the examiner and a proper passenger head restraint (not a slip-on type)
Manual and automatic cars
You can take the test in a:
- manual car – these have 3 pedals
- automatic or semi-automatic car – these have 2 pedals
You’ll only be able to drive automatic or semi-automatic cars if you take your test in one.
You can take your test in a hire car if it’s fitted with dual controls and meets all the other rules.
You can use a car with:
- an electronic parking brake
- hill-start assist
Cars you can’t use
Some cars can’t be used in the test because they don’t give the examiner all-round vision.
You can’t use any of the following:
- BMW Mini convertible
- Ford KA convertible
- Toyota iQ
- VW Beetle convertible
Check with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) before you book your test if you want to use a:
- convertible car
- panel van
DVSA driving test enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 0300 200 1122
Monday to Friday, 8am to midday
For Driving Lessons in Worcester and Evesham Contact XT Driver Training